By D. Joshua Christensen May 21, 2010
This softshell seems to me to be an extremely high quality softshell. It does everything a softshell is supposed to do, better than most can.
1. Breathability. The breathability on this jacket is amazing. I can wear it on a 15 degree day or a 45 degree day, hiking/touring or inbounds at a resort and I rarely get too hot or too cold. I rarely feel sweaty (even though I am a sweaty guy). The jacket is awesome.
2. Warmth. This jacket definitely provides more insulation than a standard shell jacket. That being said, it is very breathable, and the design in the fleece grid inside allows the jacket to only be warm when it needs to be.
3. Water Resistance. I live in Utah so our snow is not too wet. I have used this jacket in full on blizzard conditions for multiple days in a row. The outside of the jacket just BEGINS to wet out after this, but none of the moisture ever seems to make it through. The collar can also freeze if you breathe into it for too long, since the moisture will permeate the fabric somewhat easier than if it were a shell.
4. Stretch. This jacket combines 2 different types of softshell material. The Top color (generally darker) is less stretchy and more waterproof. The Bottom color (generally lighter) is much more stretchy, but less waterproof. On the waterproofing section I mentioned that sometimes the jacket can start to wet out, it is generally on this lower color that it happens. The jacket is very stretchy and wants to move with you.
5. The jacket is waist long. It also fits somewhat snug. My XL fits like a L in most other brands. I also wish the jacket had a slightly longer fit.
6. Zippers. The zippers seem to be waterproof and they are very high quality. They function easily and rarely get caught up on fabric.
Nailed It? 0 Yes
- Norrøna 2-layer Soft Shell / grid fleece
- Waterproof Rating:
- Water resistant
- Breathable Rating:
- Core Venting:
- Under arm vents
- 2 Front, 1 Arm
- Seam Taped:
- Welded seams
- Zip-in Compatibility:
- 2lb (920g)
- Recommended Use:
- Skiing, snowboarding, climbing, casual
- Manufacturer Warranty:
- 5 Years
- Country of Origin: