Employee Gear Closet: Hud Knight
by Justin Mool
Hud Knight has been a buyer at Backcountry for over 5 years, so you can imagine the mind-boggling amounts of gear this ski/kayak/bike/hike junky has accumulated over the years. In fact, Hud has so much bomber stuff, this is his second time as our Gear Guru. Check out what he’s diggin’ on this spring:
- Ocean Kayak Big Yak – This thing is just too much fun! It is super stable in the surf and thus a great entry level boat. It’s short and maneuverable enough that you can also run class 2 to 3 water on the river. The heavy lay up allows this craft to take a beating, which will occasionally happen.
- Necky Manitou 13 Kayak – This is a great all around boat for just about any level boater. It is at home on the sound, ocean, or a nearby lake. The boat tracks very well and provides minimal resistance to the paddlers while in open water. If there is one boat that can do it all, the Manitou is my recreational boat of choice.
- Werner Shuna Paddle – I personally like the bent shaft carbon, but the glass lay up will work just fine as well. This paddle allows the boater to make powerful strokes when you need to make a quick move. The action on the Shuna will have you sold on this product instantly!
- Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sack – This is a great ultra light dry bag to carry the essentials with you when you are on the water for the morning or the day. Once the bag is empty, it is small enough that you could fit it in your pocket. I can find endless uses for these gems.
- Stohlquist Fisherman Life Jacket – For those kayak anglers out there, this is the jacket for you. It is set up with great storage and work stations for getting just the right rig together for your session. Catch the big one with a little help from the Stohlquist fisherman!
- Big Agnes Emerald 3 Tent – This tent is a stellar offering from the folks at Big Agnes. It has incredible ventilation and a great size to weight ratio. This works well on the trail or as a basecamp piece. Lot’s of good press to come with the Emerald 3.
- Montbell U.L. Super Hugger Series Sleeping Bag – These bags are simply amazing! They are one of the lightest bags on the market and provide an incredible fit to the consumer. The “Hugger” portion will minimize the dead air space in the bag to give you maximum warmth on those cold evenings.